Monday, February 27, 2012


Recovery from surgery is going very well. I am pleasantly surprised with the amount of energy I have had these past 2 weeks.  I know it has a great deal to do with the many prayers and positive thoughts that come my way.  Thank you all for that!  There are a few adjustments that come with a mastectomy and I am learning to cope with them. I still feel a bit of stiffness in my right arm and have different stretches to do that will help bring mobility back.  

I saw my oncologist today to discuss the next steps.  Chemo treatments will start as early as next Monday, March 5th.  I will receive a treatment every other week for the first eight weeks.  Each of those treatments will take approximately 3.5 hours and will require a next day shot to boost the white cells count.

After the first 8 weeks of chemo are completed, I will be given one treatment per week for 12 weeks.  After the 20 weeks of chemo are done, I must take monthly medicine for a period of 5 years.  The doctor said that considering the size of the tumor, there is a 30% chance of re-occurrence without chemo treatments.  Chemo will reduce the risk by 25%, bringing it down to approximately 23%.  

The usual negative side effects of chemo are expected, but we will take it one day at a time.  Radiation is not going to be necessary as the margins they removed around the tumor are clear, as well as the sentinel lymphnodes.  I am so grateful for that. The Lord has blessed us tremendously with wonderful people to cheer us on and encourage us.  We want to thank you for showing us such love and support.   


2 comments:

  1. I love you Audree! I agree with Jason, you need to be "selfish" and rest. Your strength is beyond amazing and the faith of your family is inspiring. Please please call on me for anything. You know I am here. Wish I could do more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is wonderful news!!! I have a friend that just had one of her lungs removed due to cancer. She is to start chemo around the same time as you. I am praying for you both. You are my hero!!

    ReplyDelete