Wednesday, February 1, 2012

How it started...


I wish I could adequately express the feelings I am feeling as I sit and start this blog. They are many. First off, my heart is filled, overflowing really, with gratitude to all those who have reached out to us in the past week. Countless offers to help with the children, encouraging facebook messages, text messages, phone calls, visits, cards, goodies and dinner dropped off, people giving us formula, offering to give breastmilk, etc. We can't even begin to express just how touched we are by the outpouring of love and support. We decided to start this blog to facilitate getting the word around on what is going on. So here is a quick account on how the breast cancer was found, up to our last appointment with the surgeon yesterday.

Jason and I are blessed with 3 wonderful children, 2 beautiful little girls, Halle 5 and Bella 3, and our latest addition being our son Jaden. Jaden is almost 7 weeks old. I was scheduled for a c-section on 12/16/11. I went in to see my ob/gyn on 12/14 for my pre-op exam. During this exam, Dr. Hearn did a routine breast exam, which he always performs on his patients before a c-section. Many doctors do not do this, but how thankful I am that he does. During this exam, he found a lump on my left breast, located at the 6 o'clock position. He didn't seem too concerned, thought it was what they call a lactating adenoma, but thought it safer to have it ultrasound. We scheduled the ultrasound that very afternoon. The radiologist also thought it was probably a lactating adenoma, but also felt it safer to monitor it and have me come in 4 weeks later for a follow-up ultrasound. So I went back for my 4 week follow-up.  They realized then that it had grown a good bit since the last ultrasound, so they scheduled a biopsy.  I had the biopsy done shortly after and went home, expecting them to call with the results.  Waiting for the results, the fleeting thought of it being cancerous came and went. As I thought about it, a great peace came over me, so I did not worry.  We got a phone call the day after the biopsy from the oncology department saying the radiologist wanted to meet with me the next day.  I knew then that my thoughts were probably a way my Heavenly Father used to prepare me for the news to come.  I went to my appointment the next day accompanied by my mother and mother in law, along with Jaden. They sat us down and revealed to us it wasn’t good news.  They proceeded to tell me I had invasive ductal carcinoma.  (Most breast cancers start in the ducts or lobes. Almost 75% of all breast cancers begin in the cells lining the milk ducts and are called ductal carcinomas. If the disease has spread outside of the duct and into the surrounding tissue, it is called invasive or infiltrating ductal carcinoma. www.cancer.net).  It was hard to hear, but I again felt the peace I had felt since the lump was found.  I knew it was a peace only my Heavenly Father could bring me.  I held it together until I was told I would have to discontinue breastfeeding since chemotherapy was in store for me.  That was very hard for me to come to terms with.  I struggle still with that reality, but must say I have felt so blessed by our little Jaden, as he has been so great through the transition.  I then met with my surgeon to discuss the different options for surgery.  The options are lumpectomy (the removal of the tumor and a small, clear (cancer-free) margin of normal tissue around the tumor. Most of the breast remains. For both DCIS and invasive cancer, follow-up radiation therapy to the remaining breast tissue is generally recommended. www.cancer.net) or mastectomy (the surgical removal of the entire breast).  Things are a bit more complicated in my case because I am lactating.  The surgeon has never performed breast surgery on a lactating patient, therefore was not sure of how the healing process would go. We originally set up a tentative date of surgery for Feb. 1st, but that changed as I had another appointment with the surgeon on Jan. 31st.  We are running additional tests to help determine which surgery would be best for my situation.  The results should take 7-10 days to get back.  Once they are in, we will set up the date and details for surgery.  I was also put on medication to stop lactation, as it will facilitate the surgery and ensure good and speedy recovery.  I also met with my oncologist, who gave us more details about my tumor.  He informed us that having breast cancer now puts me more at risk of getting it again.  Also, my tumor is over 1 cm, so that puts me at greater risk of getting any other type of cancer again (lung, liver and bone cancer being most common).  The tumor is a grade 3 tumor, which means it has a high tendency to spread and separate.  So we need to act as soon as possible.  I will be able to start chemotherapy once I am healed from surgery, which typically takes 4 weeks.  This has been a lot to take in.  I have felt quite overwhelmed this past week.  But I find that taking it one day at a time makes it much more manageable.  I have faith that this is in my Heavenly Father’s hands.  I am confident that I can overcome this.  I have seen His hand in my life countless times and know he carries me through.  I know it will not be an easy journey, but one I can make with the support of loved ones.  I have felt the many thoughts and prayers given in my behalf and in the behalf of my family.  It gives me the strength and courage necessary to make it through.  I thank you all for the amazing support.  I am overwhelmed by the compassion shown to me and my loved ones.  We will keep posting the details of surgery and chemotherapy here on this blog as we find out what they are.  I send my love and thanks to you all as we go through this journey armed with your love and support.



~Audree and family


7 comments:

  1. Audree,

    Oh my goodness - what a whirlwind this last month must have felt like to you, yet you are so calm and trusting in the Lord - your faith truly inspires me! I soooo wish that I lived closer so I could do something to help, but know that you are in my thoughts and prayers! You have such amazing strength, not only physically and mentally, but spiritually as well. I sure think the world of you. Giant hugs from Iowa!

    Becs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Audrée,

    tu es vraiment forte. Même si on ne s'est pas vu depuis longtemps, la nouvelle que tu combattais un cancer m'a beaucoup troublé. Merci de partager tes sentiments comme ça. Tu nous montre beaucoup de courage et de foi. On prie et on va continuer a prier pour toi tout au long du processus pour t'aider et te soutenir, ainsi que pour ta famille, pour qui ça ne doit pas être facile.

    On pense à toi fort.
    Love

    Jean-Michel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Audree,
    In just the brief time that I knew you I was so impressed by what a great mother and person you are. I often comment to Joel how much I wish you guys could have been here a little bit longer. I am so glad that you have felt peace through this. You are such a strong person, I hope and pray that this next month will continue to bring you peace and support. You and your family will be in our constant prayers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Audree Please know that you and your family are in our prayers. I have called several temples and placed your name upon the prayer rolls. You are in our thoughts and prayers.
    Lots of love,
    Deana Ginn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Audree, I don't often see Facebook updates from you (I'm so on-again off-again with Facebook) but this morning I did, and was lead here. I'm grateful to be able to join you in your prayers for help and healing, ands comfort for you and Jason and your sweet babies and the rest of the family. I'm sorry as I can be that you have to go through this, but I know that the Lord will hold your hand and go before you as you face this trial. I pray your faith will remain strong, and even grow. God bless you! With so much love from your cousin in Provo, Georgia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow... J'ai les larmes aux yeux, mais je te trouve tellement forte et en paix! Quel bel exemple de foi!
    J'avais plein de questions à poser à Mélanie, mais j'ai trouvé les réponses ici. Merci de partager cette expérience qui est, comme le dit James, assez troublante...
    Même si je ne te connais pas beaucoup, je vais suivre ton histoire, t'envoyer du courage et prier pour toi et ta belle petite famille...

    Catherine Riou Groux

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet Audree, You have been in our prayers and hearts. As I sat here thinking about everything that has been said by your friends....and since they shared my feelings too...I ran out of what to say until this thought came to my mind that you are such a special daughter of our Heavenly Father and that he loves you,your faith led me to this truth.We pray that the Savior will keep you strong and that you will feel him close to you during this time. Je t'aime fort! ~ Lucie xo

    ReplyDelete