Thursday, July 19, 2012

We made it!!! :-)

WE HAVE FINALLY REACHED THE LONG-AWAITED END OF TREATMENTS!!!!!!!!!!!  I cannot even begin to describe just how happy and free I feel.  Monday, July 16th was my last chemotherapy treatment.  I could not wipe the smile off my face as I walked in the cancer center and into the infusion room, knowing it was the last time I entered that room.  I was finally reaching the finish line of what seemed like the longest journey ahead of me when I started. As I sat down tonight to update the blog, I began by reading all my previous entries.  Looking back on the journey now, time seems to have gone by quite fast.  But reading back, it seems like it started so long ago.  I cannot believe Jaden was 7 weeks old when I got diagnosed.  He is now a whopping 20 lbs, happy-as-can-be,7 month old, crawling all over the place. How time flies. I know I have not been very dilligent in keeping this blog updated this last round of chemotherapy.  At the beginning of these last 12 weeks of weekly chemo, I must admit I was a bit frightened and intimidated by the number of treatments I had left.  It seemed like an eternity to get through.  But how your thoughts and prayers have helped!  I was given the strength necessary to get through it.  As I mentioned in my earlier post, the symptoms with the taxol were different than the symptoms with my first 4 treatments.  I had a bit more energy with the taxol, although without fail, Thursdays of every week were the hardest days for me.  I was a lot more tired and fatigued on Thursdays.  That always seemed strange to me that it was the same day every week.  While I was able to hold on to my eyebrows and eyelashes with my first round of chemotherapy, taxol succeded in thinning my eyebrows significantly and taking most of my eyelashes.  Again, strangest thing to me, as my eyebrows and eyelashes were thinning, the hair on my head started to slowly peek through.  I have a regrowth all over my head now.  I was told that my hair will grow an average of one millimeter a day.  We have a long road back to my shoulder-length hair, but I am ecstatic to begin this journey!  The toughest symptom of this last round of chemo has to be nail dystrophy.  I was told before I began chemo that there was a good possibility my nails could fall off.  I was hoping to escape this particular side effect, but I did not. The flesh under my fingernails started to deteriorate, causing pain, odor and my nails to peel off.  I had to cut them down bit by bit, to let my fingertips air out and heal.  This was both a very painful and unpleasant task.  Any pressure or anything touching my fingertips was extremely painful at first.  Having my hands underwater has also been greatly uncomfortable.  My fingertips have now started to heal and I am without the most part of every fingernail now.  It is still a bit painful, but mostly, very unattractive and extremely impractical.  How I miss the use of my fingernails!!!  I am having to rely on others for the simplest tasks now.  I hear it can take a very long time for the fingernails to grow back.  I am hoping they will grow back as quickly as possible.  My toenails have thankfully survived the chemo untouched.  I am curious to see how quickly my body can recover from all the toxins that infiltrated it the past 5 months. I am so glad it is all behind me.  Another long-awaited appointment is coming this Monday.  I will finally have the pleasure of getting my port removed.  I had a port surgically put at the base of my collar bone (on my right side) for chemotherapy administration purposes.  It will be removed in the surgeon's office on Monday July 23rd with local anesthesia.  I will be glad to see it go!  I have grown accustomed to it over the last months, but it can still be quite bothersome at times.  I will also meet with my oncologist this coming Monday for a follow-up visit.  I anticipate more information on what is now in store for me.  I will post this information once I receive it.  So many feelings of gratitude rush through me as I look back at the last 6 months.  I am so thankful for the outpouring of love and support.  Reading back through my blog brought with it an array of different emotions.  Brougt back less pleasant memories I had somewhat put aside, along with fond memories of loving gestures and expressions of love from so many different people.  We are so blessed to have the support group we have.  THANK YOU from the bottom of our hearts. I truly cannot adequately express the gratitude we feel.  Thank you for making us stronger through this journey.  I know it will never truly be over.  That is the reality for our family.  I know there is always a possibilty of it coming back.  But most importantly, I know this is all in God's hands and that He works miracles.  I know I have a strong foundation to hold me up and carry me through, in all of you, through your love, thoughts and prayers.  We love you dearly, we thank you deeply.  Further updates will come as I meet with my oncologist. :-)

1 comment:

  1. My heart is seriously rejoicing knowing that you are DONE with treatments! I'm so sorry to hear of of your painful side effects and pray that your recovery will be expedited! You are the strongest woman I know and you are such an example to me! LOTS OF LOVE!

    ReplyDelete